Whooheee!! It took a lot of tweaking but it was worth e-ve-ry minute!
As you can see I decided on plan b: a band to finish the neckline. First I tried plan a: deepening the pleats, and that seemed to work. But after I stitched the neckline to secure the pleats in place, it had become widen again. Whaat?!
So plan b it was.
I pinned the pleats in the patternpaper so that I could use that as a guideline to draft the patternpieces for the band, which is 3 cm wide. And that did the trick. This fits and looks so much better on me. Now it's not gonna drop of my shoulder or show any bra-straps. Nor do the pleats end in an awkward and rather abrupt way next to my skin. Yes, I am very pleased with the outcome.
When I basted the hem, I saw that the back was higher than the front. Suppose having a swayback does that for you. I lengthened the centerback hem by 2,5 cm, tapering to nothing at 10 cm past the sideseams in the front. Now, when I wear it, the hem is even all around. Good decision.
I am so happy that I can't stop staring at it. Silly me... In earlier years I wouldn't have bothered to make all these changes. Many times that meant I ended up with something I wasn't gonna wear. Now I know I will be wearing this a lot! It definitely pays off to tweak a bit here and there.
Time to figure out what that will be.
Have a nice weekend everyone!