Alterations

First of all: a big, big thank you to everyone who left a comment on my last post, suggesting what could be the problem I was having with my yellow blouse and possible ways to solve that. This is so much appreciated! Sometimes in life you need help and you don't know who to turn to. But ask fellow-sewers for help and they all come to your rescue. That's so kind and sweet! So again, from the bottom of my heart: THANK YOU GUYS!

Now. On to the alterations.
Some of you suggested that maybe I need to create more space in the upper-back. I started to take a closer look at pictures of me from the side, and I was surprised to notice that I do have a rounded upper-back. Why didn't I notice before?! Besides that, I Always feel that my tops and blouses are hanging shorter in the back than the front. That may also be a result of the fabric pulling up at the top. Wow. This does make a lot of sense.
I definitely have sloping shoulders. That could be part of the problem too. But I am curious to find out if a rounded-back adjustment could do the trick. I found a very useful instruction here by 'Surefitdesigns'.

Rounded-back-adjustment
I used the instruction mentioned above, and this is what I came up with. Yeah, there is a dart in the shoulderseam but if that's what it takes, than that's what I am gonna do. Because you want the dart to end on top of your shoulder, I had to replace the shoulderseam. In the original, the shoulderseam is about 4 cm more to the front. I simply cut of the extra of the back and taped that to the frontshoulder.

The amount of extra space is absolutely a guess. The best way to find out how much I need might be to cut up the yellow blouse and see what happens when I put it on. Obviously, that's not gonna happen...


Full-bust adjustment
I also had a little trouble with full-bust draglines. This pattern has a princess-seam so that makes it a bit difficult to do an adjustment. But I found the perfect instruction for an fba for princess-seams by 'byhandlondon'. Unfortunately my apex is located on the front part so I had to be a little creative.
You see the red arrows? When I looked at the altered pieces I was worried that that extra space as to where the red arrows are pointing, was gonna be a problem. Then I suddenly realised that I was completely thinking in the wrong way! The extra space in the frontpiece is a (mini)dart, of course (!). And therefore, the extra space in the sidepiece can be eliminated. Pffff.....what was I thinking..... ;-)

I do not want the extra space that an fba creates at the bottom, so I let the two pieces next to the vertical cutting line, meet again at the bottom.


(The third piece on the right is the back-pattern....)
Now. I can hear you think. Where is the result of all these alterations?! Sorry, don't have that yet.... (hangs head in shame....) I want to make this a wearable muslin, but I don't have the right fabric for that at the moment. As soon as I do, results will follow.

* * *
 

There were more plans to do some summer-sewing but I just waited too long I think. The weather has really taken a turn for the worse over here and I am already wearing my fleece sweater. So I guess it's time to turn the focus to fall-sewing. Which means making new plans. Yesterday, while doing the dishes, I had a thought... Why not do a mini-swap? The one I made in 2010 was so much fun and it could be fun again. It's been a long time since I heard about any swaps but hey, who cares. The more I think about it, the more fun it seems.
But there is also the need for new pj's, a new jersey top, and I want to make an apron, and sew some home-dec, and..... Well the list goes on and on. Time to set priorities!!

Talk to you soon!
Lilian


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My preferred way of finishing necklines and armscyes on a knit shirt

Let's start 2011 with Top 3b from KnipMode 2008-08

My (re)view on KnipMode September 2015 - The Make-over